Bath & West Community Energy was established in June 2010.
Since then for Bath & West Community Energy and our partners we have:
- Raised nearly £13 million through 9 community share and bond offers offers, ranging from £350,000 to nearly £3 million for both BWCE projects and those of our community energy partners
- Installed 16MW of solar PV projects, 7MW of BWCE’s own projects and 8MW of projects owned by our community energy partners, sufficient to supply the equivalent annual electricity demand from over 5,000 homes
- Set up Mongoose Energy, a new development coop part owned by participating community energy enterprises, to take on and expand BWCE’s development work with other community energy groups
For Bath & West Community Energy projects
- Established a cooperation agreement with Bath & North East Somerset Council
- Raised £6.4 million through five share offers and one bond offer
- Raised £750,000 of debt finance from SSE and £500,000 from B&NES Council and £3 million from Close Brothers
- Installed over 7MW of solar PV made up of made up from 472kW across 11 schools and three community buildings plus three ground mounted arrays, with a further 5MW in development.
Children celebrating the installation of solar panels at Oldfield Park Infants’ School
- Installed a 250kW ground mounted solar array linked to Hartham business park, a 2,340kW ground mounted solar array near Marksbury, west of Bath and a 4,010kW ground mounted solar array in Devon, financed in partnership with local community energy groups.
- Currently financing a 5MW solar array near Crewkerne in Somerset.
- Raised £200,000 as a contingent project development loan from SSE
- Secured £108,000 of grant for ‘at risk’ project development from B&NES Council
- Secured Heads of Terms with First Bus to develop a 300kW hydro scheme on their bus depot on Weston Island in Bath
- Secured planning and EA consent to renovate a small water wheel at Old Mill Hotel at Bathampton Weir
- Identified a number of potential sites for wind turbines
- Run a successful LEAF funded project that tested an innovative financial model for financing energy efficiency in schools
- Paid members 7% interest on their investment in each of last four years
- Distributed £20,000 during 2014-15 to local community carbon reduction and fuel poverty projects via BWCE’s independent community fund
- Allocated £50,000 to the same fund, with £45,000 to be distributed during 2015-16
For Wiltshire Wildlife Community Energy Projects
- Worked with Wiltshire Wildlife Trust to establish Wiltshire Wildlife Community Energy as an independent community benefit society, set up to develop, finance, build and operate community renewables projects on Wiltshire Wildlife Trust sites.
- Secured planning permission on a 1MW ground mounted solar PV array in partnership with Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and raised £1.3 million on behalf of Wiltshire Wildlife Community Energy
- Oversaw the installation and commissioning of the Chelworth 1MW solar array
The 1MW Chelworth Solar PV Array shortly after commissioning
- Worked with WWCE to develop and finance 5MW of community solar PV at Braydon Manor Farm with a £3 million share offer.
For Low Carbon Gordano Projects
- Worked with Low Carbon Gordano to raise £2.2 million to fund the construction of a 1.87 MW solar PV array near Avonmouth.
- Investigating a range of other sites including further solar PV and wind turbine projects
For Frome Renewable Energy Coop Projects
- Worked with local community representatives to help set up Frome Renewable Energy Coop
- Identified and helped develop and finance 200kW of solar PV across two community projects in Frome
For Kennet Community Energy Projects
- Worked with local community representatives to help set up Kennet Community Energy
- Supported the installation of 44kW of Solar PV by Kennet Community Energy on Wadworths brewery in Devices